Against the backdrop of global aging, the growing prevalence of chronic diseases and spiraling healthcare costs, healthcare providers with future-oriented business models that take sustainability seriously and offer value for money are in a good position to create value for all their stakeholders. Examples of sustainability in the healthcare industry are environmentally sound procurement policies for drug makers, high safety standards for medical products and services, and a commitment to ethics when conducting clinical trials. In practice, this means every innovation in the healthcare industry must also focus on cost-effectiveness and the sagacious use of natural resources, and not just on the medical benefit. Thanks to personalized medicine aimed at enabling customized patient care and improving drug therapy outcomes, breakthroughs have been made in the fields of oncology and gene therapy. Efficient treatment methods, for example the surgical robots developed by medtech companies for minimally invasive interventions, alleviate burden and stress for the patient and shorten hospital stays. Since prevention is always better than cure, early detection of certain diseases such as cancer or HIV is an essential part of a sustainable healthcare system. Another key aspect of sustainable healthcare concerns accessibility to medicines, especially among low-income households or in poor populations. Company pricing policies are relevant in this regard. Broad access to generics and biosimilars can translate into considerable cost savings. New services, home care for example, can contribute to better outcomes and ease the load on inpatient care providers.
Our Healthcare Team consists of an interdisciplinary mix of experts with many years of experience in the fields of biotechnology, medical technology and generics. Many of our experts are graduate biochemists or natural scientists with further economic training. The experienced team analyses a global universe of 600 listed healthcare companies by means of fundamental analysis using various quantitative and qualitative parameters. An important part of the research is regular company visits and participation in technical and financial conferences.
Team Sustainable Healthcare
Samuel Stursberg, CFA, Portfolio Manager
- Since 2015 Head Research Healthcare Funds & Mandates
- 2007-2014 Head Research at Adamant Biomedical Investment AG
- 2005-2007 Stock analysis medtech and biotech at Bank Sarasin
- 2001-2005 Sustainable Asset Management, stock analysis in healthcare
- M.Sc University of Basel, MBA HSG, CFA
Zahide Donat, Portfolio Manager
- Since 2015 Portfolio Manager
- 2014-2015 Credit Suisse AG, Banking Operations Specialist in Fixed Income
- 2010-2013 Migros Bank AG, Relationship Manager
- Bachelor of Science ZFH in Business Administration (Focus Banking and Finance)
Dr. Cyrill Zimmermann, Portfolio Manager
- Since 2015 Head Healthcare Funds & Mandates, Member of the Executive Board
- 2001-2014 Co-founder and CEO of Adamant Biomedical Investment AG
- 1996-2000 Member of the Management Team BB Medtech at Bellevue Asset Management AG
- 1993-96 Advisor for institutional clients and former assistant to the Executive Management at Credit Suisse
- Dr.oec.publ. (University of Zurich)
Our investment solutions
Bellevue Asset Management AG again demonstrated its pioneering spirit by launching the first sustainable healthcare fund in the summer of 2018. Co-initiated by Austrian pension funds, the proven investment process that has worked so well with Bellevue’s global healthcare vehicles was adapted to comply with the strict criteria of the Austrian Ecolabel UZ49.
BB Adamant Sustainable Healthcare (Lux)
Show all share classes