The biotechnology sector excels in innovation and its annual sales are growing at a double-digit rate. Revolutionary medical breakthroughs – in treating HIV or hepatitis C, for example – have often originated in the labs of biotech companies. Recent successes in immuno-oncology and gene therapy are likely to make its track record all the more impressive.
Gene therapy may soon produce a cure for aggressive cancers or severe genetic disorders. That prospect is a bright ray of hope for severely ill patients. It is also inspiring the companies investigating these new treatments and attracting the attention of the investment community. Modern gene therapy is quickly emerging as a crucial technology in today’s medical world. As it directly targets disease-causing genes, it is a revolutionary approach for treating inherited disorders and permanently fixing (or replacing) defective genes. Market breakthroughs have been achieved by novel gene therapy treatments in recent years and they are now generating billions of dollars in sales.
Important technological advances will facilitate new treatment modalities to address major unmet medical needs of many patients in the years to come. Accordingly our portfolio managers are concentrating on breakthrough technologies that could produce novel treatment methods with a promising therapeutic profile and economic benefit. As an example, we anticipate that clinical trials for RNA-based medicines – initial products are currently in early market launch stages for rare and serious illnesses – will result in more new treatments being made available to larger patient populations in the coming years.
Our Healthcare Team consists of an interdisciplinary mix of experts with many years of experience in the fields of biotechnology, medical technology and generics. Many of our experts are graduate biochemists or natural scientists with further economic training. The experienced team analyses a global universe of 600 listed healthcare companies by means of fundamental analysis using various quantitative and qualitative parameters. An important part of the research is regular company visits and participation in technical and financial conferences.
Team BB Biotech AG
Dr. Daniel Koller, Lead Portfolio Manager
- Since 2004 with Bellevue Asset Management and since 2010 head of the investment company BB Biotech Ltd
- 2001 - 2004 equity4life Asset Management Ltd, investment manager
- 2000 - 2001 UBS Warburg, equity analyst
- Master's degree in Biochemistry of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich
- PhD in Biotechnology of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich and Cytos Biotechnology Ltd, Zurich
Felicia Flanigan, Portfolio Manager
- Since 2004 with Bellevue Asset Management as senior biotech analyst and Head Bellevue Research Inc
- 1999 - 2004 Adams, Harkness & Hill, biotech equity analyst
- 1991 - 1999 SG Cowen, biotech equity analyst
- MBA, Suffolk University, Boston
- BA in Communications, Boston College
Dr. Stephen Taubenfeld, Portfolio Manager
- Since October 2013 with BB Biotech as Portfolio Manager specializing in neurologic and psychiatric diseases
- 2009-2013 Iguana Healthcare Partners, Senior Analyst and Founding Partner
- 2008-2009 Merlin BioMed Group, Consultant
- 2004-2008 Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, National Institutes of Health M.D./Ph.D. Fellow in Neuroscience
- M.D. and Ph.D. in Neuroscience, Brown University School of Medicine
Dallas Webb, Portfolio Manager
- Since 2006 with Bellevue Asset Management as analyst/portfolio manager biotech
- 2004-2006 Standford Group Company, senior vice president, equity analyst
- 2003-2004 Sterling Financial Investment Group, equity analyst
- 2002-2003 Adams, Harkness & Hil, vice president, associate analyst
- MBA, Texas Christian University
- BA in Microbiology and Zoology, Louisiana State University
Dr. Christian Koch, Portfolio Manager
- Analyst and Portfolio Manager at BB Biotech since 2014
- 2013-2014 Sell-side Pharma & Biotech Equity Analyst at Bank am Bellevue in Küsnacht
- 2010-2013 Research Associate at the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, ETH Zurich
- Doctorate in Chemoinformatics & Computational Drug Design, ETH Zurich
- Degree in Bioinformatics, Goethe University Frankfurt
Dr. Maurizio Bernasconi, Portfolio Manager
- Since 2017 Investment Management Team BB Biotech
- 2014-2017 with Bank am Bellevue as financial analyst of the Pharma/Biotech sector
- 2014: Chemist at SIGA Manufacturing, Ruswil, Zurich
- 2009–2013: PhD in organic chemistry at the University of Basel
- 2004–2009: master’s degree in chemistry, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich
Team BB Adamant Biotech Funds
Dr. Christian Lach, Lead Portfolio Manager
- Since 2015 Senior Portfolio Manager Healthcare Funds & Mandates
- 2008-2014 Senior Portfolio Manager in Biotech at Adamant Biomedical Investment AG
- 2001-2008 Member of the Management Teams BB Biotech and BB Medtech at Bellevue Asset Management AG
- Dr. oec. HSG, dipl. natw. ETH
Samuel Stursberg, CFA, Portfolio Manager
- Since 2015 Head Research Healthcare Funds & Mandates
- 2007-2014 Head Research at Adamant Biomedical Investment AG
- 2005-2007 Stock analysis medtech and biotech at Bank Sarasin
- 2001-2005 Sustainable Asset Management, stock analysis in healthcare
- M.Sc University of Basel, MBA HSG, CFA
Our investment solutions
BB Biotech AG
Show all share classes
BB Adamant Biotech (Lux)
Show all share classes
Markets & Opinions / 24.04.2020
Release of BB Biotech AG regarding the Q1 Reporting as at March 31, 2020.
Markets & Opinions / 07.04.2020
Attention has suddenly shifted to the biotechnology sector and the drugs and vaccines it is developing against corona.
Markets & Opinions / 20.03.2020
Article with Dr. Daniel Koller in Financial Times Investors Chronicle.
Markets & Opinions / 09.03.2020
Article by Dr. Daniel Koller on FT Adviser.
Markets & Opinions / 17.01.2020
Dividend of CHF 3.40 proposed.