Institutional venture capital, sometimes referred to as “smart money”, plays a crucial role in funding the growth of innovative biotech start-ups, as it facilitates additional rounds of financing and can enable a subsequent listing as a public company. Venture capital is scarce in Europe, surprisingly so, since the general conditions are favorable: a large pool of talent, public research funding, large pharmaceutical companies and leading scientific and academic institutions.
Bellevue, one of the world’s largest and most experienced investors in the healthcare sector, has a long and successful track record as a healthcare sector investor. Through its various investment vehicles, Bellevue has invested in more than 80 privately-held healthcare companies since 1995. In 2018, Bellevue began to raise capital for a new investment vehicle that will invest in 15 to 20 private innovative drug development companies in Switzerland and abroad. This vehicle will concentrate primarily on companies developing next-generation biologics (biopharmaceuticals) for indications with high unmet medical needs.
The Bellevue Group has over 20 years of experience investing in healthcare companies and has raised and invested over USD 500 mn in healthcare venture capital. Our goal is to maximize the returns to our investors. To achieve this goal, we combine hard working, hands-on experience, active networking, and deep sector knowledge with a focus on value creation. BB Biotech Ventures is a healthcare-dedicated venture capital firm. We manage funds (limited partnerships) that invest in private companies developing and marketing drugs and medical devices or providing healthcare services.
Team Healthcare Private Equity
Dr. Martin Münchbach, Investment Advisor
- Since 2004 with Bellevue Asset Management as a senior investment advisor biotech ventures
- Various board assignments with biotech companies in Switzerland and the US
- 1999 - 2004 NMT and HBM BioVentures/BioMedinvest, investment manager venture capital
- 1998 - 1999 Sanofi-Synthélabo, strategic marketing
- PhD in Protein Chemistry, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich, MSc in Biochemistry and a Master's degree in Industrial Engineering and Management from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich, Studies at the Eberhard Karls Universitity of Tubingen, Germany
Dr. Klaus Breiner, Investment Advisor
- Since 2004 with Bellevue Asset Management as senior investment advisor venture capital
- 2001 - 2004 Global Life Science Ventures, investment manager venture capital
- 2000 - 2001 Booz Allen & Hamilton, management consultant
- 1995 - 2000 Scientific research at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich and at the Center of Molecular Biology of University of Heidelberg / ZMBH, Germany
- PhD degree in Molecular Biology, University of Heidelberg, Master's degree in Chemistry, University of North Carolina, USA
Dr. Dominik Escher, Investment Advisor
- Since 2017 Senior Investment Advisor Private Equity at Bellevue Asset Management
- 2009-2016 Vice President Reserarch & Development at Alcon
- Former founder and CEO of ESBATECh, a Swiss biotech acquired by Alcon in 2009
- Until 2016 Member of the Global Ophtalmology Leadership and Global Biologics Leadership at Novartis
- Since 2013 President of the Swiss Biotech Association
- PhD Molecular Biologist
Dr. Ximing Ding, Analyst
- With Bellevue Asset Management since 2018 in the investment team of BB Pureos Bioventures
- 2013-2017: PhD in molecular biology at EMBL Heidelberg
- 2013: Analyst at IMS Health (IQVIA)
Our investment solutions
BB Pureos Bioventures is a qualified investor venture capital firm that aims to invest in private innovative drug development companies primarily based in Switzerland, the European Union, the United Kingdom and the United States, with a particular focus on companies developing next generation biological drugs and drug formats.